Rules for 85th Annual Lei Day Contest | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: Honolulu City and County
85th ANNUAL LEI DAY CELEBRATION - LEI CONTEST RULES
(Thurs, April 12, 2012) – The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) presents the 85th annual Lei Day Celebration on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, at the Queen Kapi‘olani Regional Park and Bandstand from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The theme for the 2012 Lei Day Celebration is Lei U‘i Onaona (Sweet Lei of Youth). This free event features the coronation of Lei Queen Pômaika‘inokeakua Lenore Klein and her court, First Princess Kalai Sina Chow, Second Princess Christian Lei U‘i Kaholokula, and Princesses Catelin Kawahinekoa Aiwohi, Lorene Yoshimi Gima, and Courtney Ellen Lynn Ku‘uleilani Lynch.
Outstanding entertainment and Hawaiian music, including a steel guitar concert, will be offered from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The lei exhibit, from 1:00 p.m., to 5:30 p.m., boasts some of the most exquisitely crafted lei in a variety of colors and methods. New this year is Kûlana Lei, a village of Hawaiian artisans, sharing their talents and skills with exhibits and demonstrations throughout the day (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). While at Kûlana Lei, mo‘opuna (grandchildren) may visit with Tûtû (grandmother) at Tûtû’s Hale and hear stories, play Hawaiian games, learn a song, hula, lei making, and lauhala weaving.
Royal Hawaiian Band
Nâ Wahine O Ka Hula Mai Ka Pu‘uwai
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Investiture Ceremony for the 2012 Lei Queen & Court
Official Opening of the Lei Contest Exhibit by the 2012 Lei Queen & Court (approx 12:30 p.m.)
Hâlau Hula ‘O Hôkûlani
Announcements and Closing
For those planning to enter the lei contests, it is not too late to enter one (or all) of the three: Hawaiian lei, youth lei, and lei lipine (ribbon, fabric, yarn lei). The material selected for the theme lei, one of the categories of the Hawaiian lei contest, is pîkake and/or pakalana.
The deadline to submit the lei lipine entries is Saturday, April 21, from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. at Makiki District Park parking lot, 1527 Ke‘eaumoku Street. Lei received after 10:30 a.m. may be displayed but will not be eligible for prizes. No lei lipine entries will be accepted on May 1. The deadline to submit all other Hawaiian lei and youth lei entries is May 1, from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
The celebration is presented by the City and County of Honolulu’s Department of Parks and Recreation, and sponsored by Hawaiian Electric Company, Times Supermarkets, and the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority.
For more information about the 85th Annual Lei Day Celebration, visit www.honoluluparks.com or call the Parks Department at 768-3041.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day