Rules for 85th Annual Lei Day Contest | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: Honolulu City and County
85th ANNUAL LEI DAY CELEBRATION - LEI CONTEST RULES
(Thurs, April 12, 2012) – The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) presents the 85th annual Lei Day Celebration on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, at the Queen Kapi‘olani Regional Park and Bandstand from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The theme for the 2012 Lei Day Celebration is Lei U‘i Onaona (Sweet Lei of Youth). This free event features the coronation of Lei Queen Pômaika‘inokeakua Lenore Klein and her court, First Princess Kalai Sina Chow, Second Princess Christian Lei U‘i Kaholokula, and Princesses Catelin Kawahinekoa Aiwohi, Lorene Yoshimi Gima, and Courtney Ellen Lynn Ku‘uleilani Lynch.
Outstanding entertainment and Hawaiian music, including a steel guitar concert, will be offered from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The lei exhibit, from 1:00 p.m., to 5:30 p.m., boasts some of the most exquisitely crafted lei in a variety of colors and methods. New this year is Kûlana Lei, a village of Hawaiian artisans, sharing their talents and skills with exhibits and demonstrations throughout the day (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). While at Kûlana Lei, mo‘opuna (grandchildren) may visit with Tûtû (grandmother) at Tûtû’s Hale and hear stories, play Hawaiian games, learn a song, hula, lei making, and lauhala weaving.
Royal Hawaiian Band
Nâ Wahine O Ka Hula Mai Ka Pu‘uwai
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Investiture Ceremony for the 2012 Lei Queen & Court
Official Opening of the Lei Contest Exhibit by the 2012 Lei Queen & Court (approx 12:30 p.m.)
Hâlau Hula ‘O Hôkûlani
Announcements and Closing
For those planning to enter the lei contests, it is not too late to enter one (or all) of the three: Hawaiian lei, youth lei, and lei lipine (ribbon, fabric, yarn lei). The material selected for the theme lei, one of the categories of the Hawaiian lei contest, is pîkake and/or pakalana.
The deadline to submit the lei lipine entries is Saturday, April 21, from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. at Makiki District Park parking lot, 1527 Ke‘eaumoku Street. Lei received after 10:30 a.m. may be displayed but will not be eligible for prizes. No lei lipine entries will be accepted on May 1. The deadline to submit all other Hawaiian lei and youth lei entries is May 1, from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
The celebration is presented by the City and County of Honolulu’s Department of Parks and Recreation, and sponsored by Hawaiian Electric Company, Times Supermarkets, and the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority.
For more information about the 85th Annual Lei Day Celebration, visit www.honoluluparks.com or call the Parks Department at 768-3041.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Mall’s Marsha Nadalin Salon + Spa celebrates 20th Anniversary
- See "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" at Hawaii Kai Library on March 18
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- Join McDonald's restaurants of Hawaii in supporting Hawaii robotics with egg McMuffin purchase
- Celebrate the End of Tax Season with Ala Moana Hotel's Form of the 1040
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra joins Maestro Roger Nierenberg in special ‘Music Paradigm’ event
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii rolls out free Wi-Fi at all facilities
- Attend Teen Tech Week Events at Six Libraries in March
- Volta Industries Launches New Office Location in San Francisco
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer