The Royal Hawaiian Presents a New Live Musical Dinner Show "Honu by the Sea" | Arts & Culture
The following information is provided by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Waikiki:
The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort introduces a new Broadway-inspired musical “Honu By The Sea” in the famed Monarch Room. The live show will have weekly scheduled performances from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays and Sundays from July 4 through September 30. This musical production will feature a cast of 14 talented members directed by local theatre legend Ronald Bright with original music and lyrics written by Johnson Enos.
“Honu by the Sea” invites guests to journey under the ocean with the show’s lead character “Kainoa,” a Waikiki Beach Boy who loves the ocean and dreams of living under the sea. Upon finding a starfish along the beach, his wish is granted to spend an entire day under water. As he descends into the ocean, he meets “Malia the Honu” and her amazing ocean friends who are on journey to rescue Malia’s mother honu Lehua from the Northern Hawaiian Islands. Joining his new friends, Kainoa learns the value of friendship and caring for the ocean environment.
Ticket pricing for the Premium Dinner Show is $125 for adults and $85 for children (4-12 years old), Dinner Show Package is $95 for adults and $65 for children (4-12 years old), and Show-only tickets are $49 for adults and $35 for children (4-12 years old). Prices do not include taxes and other fees.
Also known as the “Carnegie Hall of the Pacific,” the Monarch Ballroom continues to celebrate the rich musical legacy of The Royal Hawaiian, and this live musical will be a part of an on-going effort to pay tribute to the islands’ rich Hawaiian culture as part of the “re-culturalization” of Waikiki through music. Over the last 30 years, local artists such as Emma Veary, Ed Kenney, Maunalua, Na Leo, Makana, Cecilio & Kapono, and Marlene Sai, as well as hula soloists Beverly Noa and Manu Bentley, have performed on the Monarch’s popular stage.
“We are thrilled to be partnering with Johnson Enos and Ron Bright,” said Kelly Hoen, general manager of The Royal Hawaiian. “With seven years in the making, they have designed a magnificent multi-faceted show for the Monarch Room, which has played a significant role in the history of Hawaiian music and culture in Waikiki. Legendary musicians—both local and from the mainland—have performed in the Monarch Room for more than 65 years. With Honu by the Sea, we hope to share our enthusiasm for preserving the legacy of the resort’s storied musical tradition and teach our keiki to help preserve ocean life.”
Seven years ago, Johnson Enos wanted to take his musical talent and share with his local family and friends the lessons that he had learned growing up on the windward side of Oahu. Johnson has worked and recorded with many notable performers including the “Divine Miss M” (Bette Midler) and Broadway star Kristin Chenoweth on their respective Christmas albums as both an arranger and vocalist. He was also a featured singer in Disney’s animated movie, “Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch” and recently worked on the new Disney Aulani Resort’s national commercials and movie trailers as a musical producer. Johnson has recently completed his new album, “Lehua” and is thrilled to debut his new live musical “Honu by the Sea” at The Royal Hawaiian.
Tickets are available by calling 808-921-4600. For more information, please visit www.royal-hawaiian.com or www.honubythesea.com. Complimentary self-parking with validation is available at the Sheraton Waikiki/The Royal Hawaiian parking structure.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day