The Royal Hawaiian Presents a New Live Musical Dinner Show "Honu by the Sea" | Arts & Culture
The following information is provided by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Waikiki:
The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort introduces a new Broadway-inspired musical “Honu By The Sea” in the famed Monarch Room. The live show will have weekly scheduled performances from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays and Sundays from July 4 through September 30. This musical production will feature a cast of 14 talented members directed by local theatre legend Ronald Bright with original music and lyrics written by Johnson Enos.
“Honu by the Sea” invites guests to journey under the ocean with the show’s lead character “Kainoa,” a Waikiki Beach Boy who loves the ocean and dreams of living under the sea. Upon finding a starfish along the beach, his wish is granted to spend an entire day under water. As he descends into the ocean, he meets “Malia the Honu” and her amazing ocean friends who are on journey to rescue Malia’s mother honu Lehua from the Northern Hawaiian Islands. Joining his new friends, Kainoa learns the value of friendship and caring for the ocean environment.
Ticket pricing for the Premium Dinner Show is $125 for adults and $85 for children (4-12 years old), Dinner Show Package is $95 for adults and $65 for children (4-12 years old), and Show-only tickets are $49 for adults and $35 for children (4-12 years old). Prices do not include taxes and other fees.
Also known as the “Carnegie Hall of the Pacific,” the Monarch Ballroom continues to celebrate the rich musical legacy of The Royal Hawaiian, and this live musical will be a part of an on-going effort to pay tribute to the islands’ rich Hawaiian culture as part of the “re-culturalization” of Waikiki through music. Over the last 30 years, local artists such as Emma Veary, Ed Kenney, Maunalua, Na Leo, Makana, Cecilio & Kapono, and Marlene Sai, as well as hula soloists Beverly Noa and Manu Bentley, have performed on the Monarch’s popular stage.
“We are thrilled to be partnering with Johnson Enos and Ron Bright,” said Kelly Hoen, general manager of The Royal Hawaiian. “With seven years in the making, they have designed a magnificent multi-faceted show for the Monarch Room, which has played a significant role in the history of Hawaiian music and culture in Waikiki. Legendary musicians—both local and from the mainland—have performed in the Monarch Room for more than 65 years. With Honu by the Sea, we hope to share our enthusiasm for preserving the legacy of the resort’s storied musical tradition and teach our keiki to help preserve ocean life.”
Seven years ago, Johnson Enos wanted to take his musical talent and share with his local family and friends the lessons that he had learned growing up on the windward side of Oahu. Johnson has worked and recorded with many notable performers including the “Divine Miss M” (Bette Midler) and Broadway star Kristin Chenoweth on their respective Christmas albums as both an arranger and vocalist. He was also a featured singer in Disney’s animated movie, “Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch” and recently worked on the new Disney Aulani Resort’s national commercials and movie trailers as a musical producer. Johnson has recently completed his new album, “Lehua” and is thrilled to debut his new live musical “Honu by the Sea” at The Royal Hawaiian.
Tickets are available by calling 808-921-4600. For more information, please visit www.royal-hawaiian.com or www.honubythesea.com. Complimentary self-parking with validation is available at the Sheraton Waikiki/The Royal Hawaiian parking structure.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Mall’s Marsha Nadalin Salon + Spa celebrates 20th Anniversary
- See "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" at Hawaii Kai Library on March 18
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- Join McDonald's restaurants of Hawaii in supporting Hawaii robotics with egg McMuffin purchase
- Celebrate the End of Tax Season with Ala Moana Hotel's Form of the 1040
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra joins Maestro Roger Nierenberg in special ‘Music Paradigm’ event
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii rolls out free Wi-Fi at all facilities
- Attend Teen Tech Week Events at Six Libraries in March
- Volta Industries Launches New Office Location in San Francisco
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer