Historic photos of Hawaii's boat days in Honolulu to be exhibited at the Royal Hawaiian | Community Spirit
The following information is provided by the Royal Hawaiian:
WAIKIKI BEACH, HONOLULU, HAWAII – July 17, 2012 – The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort has partnered with Matson Navigation Company to present “Boat Days” exhibit showcasing a collection of rarely seen photographs of visitors traveling to Oahu on Matson ship liners. On July 18, prized images revealing archived photos of passengers arriving in Honolulu from the late 1920s to the late 1940s and their visits to The Royal Hawaiian and Hawaii will be open to the public. The exhibit will be on display at the resort’s Coronet Lounge until January 31, 2013 with no admission fee.
This rare collection of photographs features the S.S. Lurline, Hula Boat Day greeting of passengers arriving at Aloha Tower, The Royal Hawaiian Band playing music at Aloha Tower, original Royal Hawaiian luggage tags, a variety of Matson travel posters, and more. Starting in the mid-1920s, visitors from all over the world began arriving at Aloha Tower on Matson passenger ships and vacationing at The Royal Hawaiian enjoying the exotic wonders offered on Waikiki Beach. Each photograph will be presented on large canvas prints lining the walls of Coronet Lounge.
Matson Navigation Company was instrumental in the development of tourism to Hawaii and the South Pacific. A fleet of Matson Lines cruise ships, the most famous being the S.S. Lurline, traveled from the mainland to Hawaii from the 1920s to 1960s. Matson built The Royal Hawaiian in 1927 so luxury accommodations were both available afloat and ashore. Matson photographers took thousands of snapshots of the celebrities and world-class travelers who traveled on its ships and vacationed in Waikiki.
Matson Navigation Company Archives encompass a vast collection of photographs and artwork from Matson Lines passenger and hotel era, 1920s to 1960s.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day