Historic photos of Hawaii's boat days in Honolulu to be exhibited at the Royal Hawaiian | Community Spirit
The following information is provided by the Royal Hawaiian:
WAIKIKI BEACH, HONOLULU, HAWAII – July 17, 2012 – The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort has partnered with Matson Navigation Company to present “Boat Days” exhibit showcasing a collection of rarely seen photographs of visitors traveling to Oahu on Matson ship liners. On July 18, prized images revealing archived photos of passengers arriving in Honolulu from the late 1920s to the late 1940s and their visits to The Royal Hawaiian and Hawaii will be open to the public. The exhibit will be on display at the resort’s Coronet Lounge until January 31, 2013 with no admission fee.
This rare collection of photographs features the S.S. Lurline, Hula Boat Day greeting of passengers arriving at Aloha Tower, The Royal Hawaiian Band playing music at Aloha Tower, original Royal Hawaiian luggage tags, a variety of Matson travel posters, and more. Starting in the mid-1920s, visitors from all over the world began arriving at Aloha Tower on Matson passenger ships and vacationing at The Royal Hawaiian enjoying the exotic wonders offered on Waikiki Beach. Each photograph will be presented on large canvas prints lining the walls of Coronet Lounge.
Matson Navigation Company was instrumental in the development of tourism to Hawaii and the South Pacific. A fleet of Matson Lines cruise ships, the most famous being the S.S. Lurline, traveled from the mainland to Hawaii from the 1920s to 1960s. Matson built The Royal Hawaiian in 1927 so luxury accommodations were both available afloat and ashore. Matson photographers took thousands of snapshots of the celebrities and world-class travelers who traveled on its ships and vacationed in Waikiki.
Matson Navigation Company Archives encompass a vast collection of photographs and artwork from Matson Lines passenger and hotel era, 1920s to 1960s.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Announces 2014-2015 Halekulani Masterworks Season
- Conley, Hayashida, Ing, Martinson, and Wo Join UHF Board
- Kahala Mall Hosts Keiki Day on August 23
- Avalon Development Co. Puts 17 Industrial Parcels At Kapolei Business Park, Phase 2, On The Market
- Safeway Hawaii Foundation Grants $10,000 In Scholarships To 10 Hawaii Students
- WAIKIKI AQUARIUM’S DISTINGUISHED LECTURE SERIES TO SHINE SPOTLIGHT ON THE CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGE OF
- CBP Raises More Than $44,000 for Aloha United Way's 2014 Pacesetter Campaign
- Hale Kipa receives a $100,000 grant from the Hau‘oli Mau Loa Foundation for "Paws for a Cause"
- Chris Deuchar Returns to Hale Kipa’s Board of Directors
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager