Waikiki Health Center receives $25,000 grant from Susan G. Komen for the Cure | Community Spirit
The following information is provided by the Waikiki Health Center:
The Hawai`i Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure awarded $25,000 to Waikiki Health Center toward the non-profit agency's clinical breast health services to uninsured and underinsured women. Grant funding also will support referral services to help increase access to mammography and other imaging procedures.
"We are deeply grateful to the Hawai`i Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure for partnering with us to promote the early detection and treatment of breast cancer," said Sheila Beckham, RD, MPH, Waikiki Health Center's Chief Executive Officer. "This grant will help provide potentially life-saving services to more women, including those who experience cultural, economic or other barriers to accessing care."
Waikiki Health Center places special emphasis on providing breast health services to those who are at high risk of late diagnosis and treatment, including women who are Native Hawaiian, other Pacific Islanders or Asian.
Clinical breast health services are offered at the Center's family of service sites: Ohua Clinic & Pharmacy in Waikiki, "Ho`ola Like" (Healers Together) North Shore satellite in Hale`iwa, Care-A-Van Drop-in Center & Clinic in Kaimuki, Youth Outreach (YO) Drop-in Center & Clinic in Waikiki, PATH Ob/Gyn Clinic in Kaimuki and through a Mobile Medical Clinic, which brings the agency's services to the homeless at locations across Oahu.
The mission of Waikiki Health Center is to provide quality medical and social services that are accessible and affordable for everyone, regardless of ability to pay. For further information, please visit the agency's website at www.waikikihc.org.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- "Great Chinese Language Books Giveaway" at Liliha Library April 26
- Celebrate World Intellectual Property Day at Hawaii State Library April 26
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Takes On Gershwin and Beethoven In April 26-27 Concerts
- Nominees Sought for 2014 Hawai‘i Waterman Hall of Fame
- Celebrate National Poetry Month at Hawaii State Library on April 19
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Hosts Oldest-Ever Zipline Participant
- Manoa Library Celebrates Earth Day with Free Events in April
- "Experience Easter" Event at Manoa Valley Church on April 20
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for March 2014
- RevoluSun walks the talk of sustainability with the Earth Day challenge