'Let's Move Together' at the 2011 State of Hawaii Arthritis Walk | Community Spirit
The Arthritis Foundation invites the public to join the 2011 Hawaii Arthritis Walk dedicated to raising awareness and funds to find a cure for arthritis held on Sunday, May 22.
Registration is at 7:30 a.m. and the Walk begins at 9 a.m. at Ala Moana - Magic Island (1201 Ala Moana Boulevard).
The Arthritis Walk is the Arthritis Foundation's annual nationwide signature event that raises funds and awareness to find a cure for the nation's leading cause of disability. Participants walk as individuals or in teams in honor of a friend or family member with arthritis. People with arthritis wear blue hats to signify their action in taking control of their condition.
The event features a one-mile or three-mile course with activities for the entire family, a Keiki Zone, live entertainment, food, beverages and arthritis information.
This year's Honorary Chair of the Arthritis Walk is Ms. Shelley Wilson, President and CEO of Wilson Homecare. As a disabled veteran, Shelley understands the aches and pains that arthritis can bring. She suffers from chronic arthritis in her left arm and both knees due to injuries she sustained in an automobile accident.
Walk Co-Chairs are Debbie Victor & Erin Berhman, Program Directors at YMCA of Honolulu. This year's Arthritis Walk Medical Honoree is Cass Nakasone, M.D., Department Chief of Orthopedics, Straub Bone & Joint Center. The Young Adult Honoree is Jennifer Nishiki.
The Arthritis Walk kicks off in May during National Arthritis Month in more than 250 communities nationwide to fund arthritis research, health education and government advocacy initiatives. By joining your 2011 Arthritis Walk, you are supporting Let's Move Together, a nationwide movement that encourages people to move to prevent or control arthritis. Start moving today for better health!
The Arthritis Foundation
The Arthritis Foundation is the only not-for-profit voluntary health organization in Hawaii whose mission is to improve lives through leadership in the prevention, control, and cure of arthritis and related diseases. Nationally, the Arthritis Foundation is the largest private, not-for-profit contributor to arthritis research in the world, funding nearly $400 million in research grants during its 62-year history.
Funding raised will support more than 236,000 individuals with
arthritis in Hawai'i with state-wide exercise programs, summer Juvenile Arthritis Camp, research public education programs, and more.
The Arthritis Walk is the Arthritis Foundation's nationwide team event that raises awareness and funds to find a cure. Our rallying cry, Let's Move Together is a nationwide movement that encourages people to move daily for better health to prevent or treat arthritis. Moving just 30 minutes per day can ease joint pain, improve mobility and reduce fatigue. For more information about the Arthritis Foundation, visit www.arthritis.org.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- First Insurance Charitable Foundation Donations Exceed $150,000 In First Half Of 2014
- American Savings Bank Donates $100,000 to the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship
- Lasting Impacts of World War I Discussed at Hawaii State Library on July 26
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014