Shorelines near Diamond Head to close to fishing for one year | Fishing
Title (Max 100 Characters)
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow)- Shorelines in the Waikiki area near Diamond Head will be closed to fishing for one year to allow the fish population to replenish itself, according to the state Department of Land and Natural Resources.
The closure, at the Waikiki-Diamond Head Fisheries Management Area (FMA), will take place between Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013, and Dec. 31, 2013.
"Periodically closing areas to fishing was a practice used by early Hawaiians; it helped fish populations replenish themselves," said William J. Aila, Jr., DLNR chairperson. "We use a variation of that at Waikiki-Diamond Head for the same purpose. Closed years give fish a break from fishing pressure, and allow their populations to increase. Fishing experiences are then improved during open years."
The area to be closed stretches from the nearshore waters between the ‘Ewa wall of the Waikiki War Memorial Natatorium and the Diamond Head Lighthouse, from the high-water mark on shore to a minimum seaward distance of 500 yards.
Fishing within this area at any point during the closure is forbidden.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day