Hawaiian monk seal 'Honey Girl' ready for release | News
HONOLULU (AP) - State and federal officials plan to announce the release of the Hawaiian monk seal R5AY back to the wild after she's recovered from a fish hook injury.
The seal known as "Honey Girl" had surgery to repair her tongue at the Honolulu Zoo last week. She's since been recovering at the Waikiki Aquarium.
The state Department of Land and Natural Resources says the seal will be released Thursday if all goes well.
Honey Girl was close to death when she was rescued on Nov. 17. An ulua hook was lodged in her cheek for at least three weeks.
State and federal officials responded to 14 Hawaiian monk seal hooking incidents so far this year. Three hookings have ended in death.
Hawaiian monk seals are a critically endangered species.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- First Insurance Charitable Foundation Donations Exceed $150,000 In First Half Of 2014
- American Savings Bank Donates $100,000 to the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship
- Lasting Impacts of World War I Discussed at Hawaii State Library on July 26
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014