Coast Guard searching for possible surfer in distress off Diamond Head | News
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow)- The Coast Guard is trying to locate the owner of a surfboard found approximately 2.5 miles southwest of Diamond Head Thursday.
No one has been reported to be in distress, rescue officials say, but the surfboard was found with a broken leash.
The crew of a 45-foot Response Boat-Medium from Coast Guard Station Honolulu was conducting training in the area when they discovered the surfboard.
The surfboard is green and burgundy, 9 ft. 6 in. long, with the words 'Island Classic' on it.
The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Galveston Island, a 110-foot patrol boat homeported in Honolulu, and an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point, are assisting with the search.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Sector Honolulu command center at (808) 842-2600.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- EXCLUSIVE: Drivers find way around Chinatown 'smart' meters
- Hart CEO and Mayor Caldwell unveil rail art program
- App for this year’s Hawaii Book & Music Festival presented by Bank of Hawaii
- Kupu Students Learn About Sustainable Development and Operations as Part of Mentorship Day
- Kaiser Permanente Promotes Barbara Kashiwabara to Executive Director Ancillary Services
- HUGS Receives $24,000 from Forever Giving for Emergency Airfare Assistance to Seriously Ill Keiki
- Mariah Williams Captures Speech Title
- CENTRAL PACIFIC BANK’S ‘WALKS FOR YOU’ RAISES $100,454 TO BENEFIT FOUR LOCAL NONPROFITS
- McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii Awards $25,000 in Scholarships to Ten Employee-Scholars
- Registration Open for John R. Wooden Basketball Camp, June 3 - 6