Sandbags to stabilize Waikiki beach structure | News
HONOLULU (AP) - The state Department of Land and Natural Resources plans to use heavy sandbags to stabilize a Waikiki beach groin this week.
The groin next to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel was built in 1927 to prevent beach erosion. It was lengthened in 1930.
But department Chairman William Aila says officials noticed the groin was leaning a little after the state recently widened the beach using offshore sand.
The 3-day stabilization project will begin Tuesday. A contractor will place 43 sandbags on the ewa side of the groin.
Public access will be limited on the Diamond Head side of the groin during construction.
The work will cost the department just over $50,000.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day