Surfer accused of running down elderly woman has criminal past | News
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow)- In Jill Hansen's last Facebook post, she bragged about becoming a professional surfer.
The time stamp shows she made that claim hours after a hit-and-run accident that seriously injured an elderly woman.
According to police, it was a road rage incident. Hansen followed 73-year old Elizabeth Conklin to her Waikiki condo on Kalakaua Avenue about noon Wednesday.
Witnesses told police, Hansen hit Conklin as she got out of her car, then reversed to hit her again.
A good samaritan, Chris Khory, grabbed a crowbar, and broke out the back window of the Volkswagen Passat. Khory works at the complex. His actions sent the driver running.
Hansen was arrested about seven hours later at an apartment complex in the Manoa area.
This isn't her first run in with police. She has a pending assault case and in a separate case was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation.
There is also an active restraining order filed by her father. According to the court documents, her father says she used Facebook to find someone to murder him and his family.
She has multiple, unintelligible rants on the social media site. She claims to be a professional surfer and model and lashes out at critics.
"It was pretty shocking," says neighbor Don Persons. He's lived in the Waikiki area for decades. He knows Conklin and the good samaritan who helped her.
"Chris is a great guy," he says, "It's nice to know people are still willing to get involved."
The victim's husband says she is recovering. She has cuts and bruises but is doing well considering she was hit by a car.
Hansen is in custody for attempted murder, she has not been charged.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Hawai'i Kai Towne Center's Summer Concert Series Continues With Na Leo Pilimehana, July 19
- PacificBasin Communications Names Bobby Senaha as Vice President – Business Division
- Hawaii Center for Food Safety Action fund endorses candidates
- RevoluSun Invites Public to Sandy Beach Cleanup
- CHAI Studio Hosts a D.I.Y. Block Printing Workshop
- Punahou Builds Bridges in Community Forum on Cities
- Get Ready to Tee-Off at ARDA-Hawaii’s Annual Golf Tournament on September 19
- Bargain Hunters Invited to White Elephant Faire on July 19
- Free Staging of 'Seussical, Jr.' at Punahou's Dillingham Hall
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties' Mike James Unites Hawaii and California Markets