Mauka to makai expo highlights earth month events | News
The following information is provided by City & County of Honolulu:
In recognition of Earth Month, the City’s Department of Environmental Services (ENV) is co-sponsoring with the State Department of Health the Mauka to Makai Clean Water Expo featuring numerous ocean-oriented activities Saturday, April 14. Live entertainment featuring Willie K and Kapono with an appearance by Wyland who will be giving out autographed posters (while supplies last) to those who sign up for the Wyland Clean Water Challenge at the Department of Land and Natural Resources/Division of Forestry booth.
The Expo is free and runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Waikiki Aquarium. Parking is available at the Waikiki Elementary School with free shuttle service to the aquarium. The first 500 families who collect 15 stamps in their passports receive a free native plant and a Green Infrastructure for Homeowners booklet. Attendees will have a chance to win prizes, including family passes to both the Waikiki Aquarium and Bishop Museum.More than 20 agencies and organizations will showcase earth-friendly activities. One of the featured attractions is the moi (fish) release at the beach beginning at 11 a.m.
In April, ENV will be conducting 17 Adopt-A-Block and Adopt-A-Stream events throughout Oahu. On April 4, the City will feature the Island-wide Storm Drain Marker Kickoff showcasing its new metal storm drain marker. These markers will be installed throughout the island on designated streets by community volunteers to educate and create environmental awareness. Clean Water Heroes, who played important roles in preserving and protecting our waters, will be recognized throughout the year.
For more information, on upcoming events or to volunteer for a future activity, contact the Storm Water Quality Branch at 768-3245 or go to cleanwaterhonolulu.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Gee Yung Martial Arts to perform lion dance at Koko Marina Center
- Hawaii's fastest, free WiFi network activated in Kakaako
- Architects Hawaii prepares master plan for Palama settlement as part of community service program
- Voting ends march 9 for People’s Choice Competition of Toyota’s 2014 dream car art contest
- WET’N’WILD HAWAII offers Best Deal in 15 Years of Operation
- Honolulu Property Management Welcomes Michelle Tang, Vice President of Business Development
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer
- Prudential Locations Welcomes Experienced Agents Arashiro and Hsia