Mauka to makai expo highlights earth month events | News
The following information is provided by City & County of Honolulu:
In recognition of Earth Month, the City’s Department of Environmental Services (ENV) is co-sponsoring with the State Department of Health the Mauka to Makai Clean Water Expo featuring numerous ocean-oriented activities Saturday, April 14. Live entertainment featuring Willie K and Kapono with an appearance by Wyland who will be giving out autographed posters (while supplies last) to those who sign up for the Wyland Clean Water Challenge at the Department of Land and Natural Resources/Division of Forestry booth.
The Expo is free and runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Waikiki Aquarium. Parking is available at the Waikiki Elementary School with free shuttle service to the aquarium. The first 500 families who collect 15 stamps in their passports receive a free native plant and a Green Infrastructure for Homeowners booklet. Attendees will have a chance to win prizes, including family passes to both the Waikiki Aquarium and Bishop Museum.More than 20 agencies and organizations will showcase earth-friendly activities. One of the featured attractions is the moi (fish) release at the beach beginning at 11 a.m.
In April, ENV will be conducting 17 Adopt-A-Block and Adopt-A-Stream events throughout Oahu. On April 4, the City will feature the Island-wide Storm Drain Marker Kickoff showcasing its new metal storm drain marker. These markers will be installed throughout the island on designated streets by community volunteers to educate and create environmental awareness. Clean Water Heroes, who played important roles in preserving and protecting our waters, will be recognized throughout the year.
For more information, on upcoming events or to volunteer for a future activity, contact the Storm Water Quality Branch at 768-3245 or go to cleanwaterhonolulu.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- EXCLUSIVE: Drivers find way around Chinatown 'smart' meters
- Hart CEO and Mayor Caldwell unveil rail art program
- App for this year’s Hawaii Book & Music Festival presented by Bank of Hawaii
- Kupu Students Learn About Sustainable Development and Operations as Part of Mentorship Day
- Kaiser Permanente Promotes Barbara Kashiwabara to Executive Director Ancillary Services
- HUGS Receives $24,000 from Forever Giving for Emergency Airfare Assistance to Seriously Ill Keiki
- Mariah Williams Captures Speech Title
- CENTRAL PACIFIC BANK’S ‘WALKS FOR YOU’ RAISES $100,454 TO BENEFIT FOUR LOCAL NONPROFITS
- McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii Awards $25,000 in Scholarships to Ten Employee-Scholars
- Registration Open for John R. Wooden Basketball Camp, June 3 - 6