Unconfirmed shark sighting reported in Waikiki | News
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - An unconfirmed shark sighting was reported in waters off Waikiki late Wednesday night.
The unconfirmed sighting was reported at about 10:15 p.m. when a witness alerted police at the Waikiki substation.
Ocean Safety Operations Chief Jim Howe says they can't take any action unless the sighting is confirmed. Officials would need to confirm the size and species of the shark, as well as the type of behavior it is showing.
If the sighting is confirmed, lifeguards would then post warning signs in the area to alert the public.
On Sunday, skin divers say they spotted a 12-foot tiger shark lurking in waters off Sans Souci Beach.
According to Ocean Safety officials, lifeguards are always on the lookout for sharks in order to protect ocean-goers.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Koko Marina and Koolau Theaters to show UH Football Games Live
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23