Unconfirmed shark sighting reported in Waikiki | News
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - An unconfirmed shark sighting was reported in waters off Waikiki late Wednesday night.
The unconfirmed sighting was reported at about 10:15 p.m. when a witness alerted police at the Waikiki substation.
Ocean Safety Operations Chief Jim Howe says they can't take any action unless the sighting is confirmed. Officials would need to confirm the size and species of the shark, as well as the type of behavior it is showing.
If the sighting is confirmed, lifeguards would then post warning signs in the area to alert the public.
On Sunday, skin divers say they spotted a 12-foot tiger shark lurking in waters off Sans Souci Beach.
According to Ocean Safety officials, lifeguards are always on the lookout for sharks in order to protect ocean-goers.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014