Unconfirmed shark sighting reported in Waikiki | News
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - An unconfirmed shark sighting was reported in waters off Waikiki late Wednesday night.
The unconfirmed sighting was reported at about 10:15 p.m. when a witness alerted police at the Waikiki substation.
Ocean Safety Operations Chief Jim Howe says they can't take any action unless the sighting is confirmed. Officials would need to confirm the size and species of the shark, as well as the type of behavior it is showing.
If the sighting is confirmed, lifeguards would then post warning signs in the area to alert the public.
On Sunday, skin divers say they spotted a 12-foot tiger shark lurking in waters off Sans Souci Beach.
According to Ocean Safety officials, lifeguards are always on the lookout for sharks in order to protect ocean-goers.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Announces 2014-2015 Halekulani Masterworks Season
- Conley, Hayashida, Ing, Martinson, and Wo Join UHF Board
- Kahala Mall Hosts Keiki Day on August 23
- Avalon Development Co. Puts 17 Industrial Parcels At Kapolei Business Park, Phase 2, On The Market
- Safeway Hawaii Foundation Grants $10,000 In Scholarships To 10 Hawaii Students
- WAIKIKI AQUARIUM’S DISTINGUISHED LECTURE SERIES TO SHINE SPOTLIGHT ON THE CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGE OF
- CBP Raises More Than $44,000 for Aloha United Way's 2014 Pacesetter Campaign
- Hale Kipa receives a $100,000 grant from the Hau‘oli Mau Loa Foundation for "Paws for a Cause"
- Chris Deuchar Returns to Hale Kipa’s Board of Directors
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager