Honolulu Zoo's white rhinoceros Kruger dies | News
The Honolulu Zoo Monday put down Kruger, the 25-year-old white male rhinoceros who has been seriously ill with kidney disease since December, 2010.
Kruger came to the Honolulu Zoo in 1986 from the San Diego Wild Animal Park, when he was still a calf.
In the wild, adult white rhinos tend to be solitary, except for an adult mother with her most recent offspring.
Throughout his lifetime Kruger had endeared himself to the zoo staff and the community.
During the past five months he has received comfort and care from specialists nationwide as well as the zoo's veterinary and animal keeper staff.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- "Great Chinese Language Books Giveaway" at Liliha Library April 26
- Celebrate World Intellectual Property Day at Hawaii State Library April 26
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Takes On Gershwin and Beethoven In April 26-27 Concerts
- Nominees Sought for 2014 Hawai‘i Waterman Hall of Fame
- Celebrate National Poetry Month at Hawaii State Library on April 19
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Hosts Oldest-Ever Zipline Participant
- Manoa Library Celebrates Earth Day with Free Events in April
- "Experience Easter" Event at Manoa Valley Church on April 20
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for March 2014
- RevoluSun walks the talk of sustainability with the Earth Day challenge