Honolulu Zoo's white rhinoceros Kruger dies | News
The Honolulu Zoo Monday put down Kruger, the 25-year-old white male rhinoceros who has been seriously ill with kidney disease since December, 2010.
Kruger came to the Honolulu Zoo in 1986 from the San Diego Wild Animal Park, when he was still a calf.
In the wild, adult white rhinos tend to be solitary, except for an adult mother with her most recent offspring.
Throughout his lifetime Kruger had endeared himself to the zoo staff and the community.
During the past five months he has received comfort and care from specialists nationwide as well as the zoo's veterinary and animal keeper staff.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- Keith Vieira Joins Shidler College of Business as Executive-in-Residence
- Battleship Missouri Memorial to Commemorate 69th Anniversary of World War II’s End, September 2
- Verizon Wireless Hawaii Celebrates Customers This Weekend
- Hawai'i Pacific University to Launch Global Lecture Series with $50,000 Grant from Hawaiian Electric
- Retail Merchants of Hawai‘i Launches New Statewide Training Program