Water main break shuts down part of Kapahulu Avenue | News
Board of Water Supply crews responded to a 24-inch water main break on Kapahulu Avenue and Ala Wai Boulevard early Thursday morning.
The break was reported near Jefferson Elementary School at 3:41 a.m. Hundreds of gallons of water gushed out just before the morning rush hour commute.
The Honolulu Police Department has shut down all traffic lanes on Kapahulu Avenue between Ala Wai Boulevard and Kuhio Avenue as crews perform repair work.
The school's parking lot was flooded as a result of the main break, however, water service in the area was not affected.
"Kapahulu is a busy thoroughfare here, so fortunately we have Paokalani and Wainani as a back entrance," Jefferson Elementary School principal Scott Parker said.
Tons of sand churned out from under the road, some of it making its way to the Honolulu Zoo parking lot.
This is the second water main break in Waikiki this week. According to BWS officials, repair work may inconvenience drivers for another day.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Twilight Tribute to the Troops!
- USO calls on Hawaii this summer to fire up their grills in support of the troops
- Ocean Safety officials urge public to listen to lifeguards
- Kaiser High School Graduation: Helpful Graduation Info for Guests
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- “TWO: THE STORY OF ROMAN AND NYRO” TO SCREEN AT HONOLULU RAINBOW FILM FESTIVAL.
- Owner of popular Oahu restaurant chain killed in Pali crash
- Island Oasis launches Atherton debut for bellydancing
- Hawaii's Public Libraries Will Consolidate Patron Database on June 3
- Hawaii's Public Libraries will Observe Memorial Day Holiday