Water main break shuts down part of Kapahulu Avenue | News
Board of Water Supply crews responded to a 24-inch water main break on Kapahulu Avenue and Ala Wai Boulevard early Thursday morning.
The break was reported near Jefferson Elementary School at 3:41 a.m. Hundreds of gallons of water gushed out just before the morning rush hour commute.
The Honolulu Police Department has shut down all traffic lanes on Kapahulu Avenue between Ala Wai Boulevard and Kuhio Avenue as crews perform repair work.
The school's parking lot was flooded as a result of the main break, however, water service in the area was not affected.
"Kapahulu is a busy thoroughfare here, so fortunately we have Paokalani and Wainani as a back entrance," Jefferson Elementary School principal Scott Parker said.
Tons of sand churned out from under the road, some of it making its way to the Honolulu Zoo parking lot.
This is the second water main break in Waikiki this week. According to BWS officials, repair work may inconvenience drivers for another day.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Celebrate World Intellectual Property Day at Hawaii State Library April 26
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Takes On Gershwin and Beethoven In April 26-27 Concerts
- Nominees Sought for 2014 Hawai‘i Waterman Hall of Fame
- Celebrate National Poetry Month at Hawaii State Library on April 19
- Ukulele Picnic Releases Updated Musical Lineup for 2014
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Hosts Oldest-Ever Zipline Participant
- Manoa Library Celebrates Earth Day with Free Events in April
- "Experience Easter" Event at Manoa Valley Church on April 20
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for March 2014
- RevoluSun walks the talk of sustainability with the Earth Day challenge