Water main break shuts down part of Kapahulu Avenue | News
Board of Water Supply crews responded to a 24-inch water main break on Kapahulu Avenue and Ala Wai Boulevard early Thursday morning.
The break was reported near Jefferson Elementary School at 3:41 a.m. Hundreds of gallons of water gushed out just before the morning rush hour commute.
The Honolulu Police Department has shut down all traffic lanes on Kapahulu Avenue between Ala Wai Boulevard and Kuhio Avenue as crews perform repair work.
The school's parking lot was flooded as a result of the main break, however, water service in the area was not affected.
"Kapahulu is a busy thoroughfare here, so fortunately we have Paokalani and Wainani as a back entrance," Jefferson Elementary School principal Scott Parker said.
Tons of sand churned out from under the road, some of it making its way to the Honolulu Zoo parking lot.
This is the second water main break in Waikiki this week. According to BWS officials, repair work may inconvenience drivers for another day.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- McDonald’s supports 27,000 students in this year’s career and technical education program
- Honolulu Property Management Rolls Out New Tenant Portal
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii Welcomes Jerry Pupillo as New General Manager
- La Pietra presents “Up the Down Staircase”
- Hawaii Theatre to screen classic 1942 film Casablanca, April 26
- Hawaiian Springs Water Expands into Albertsons Markets in California and the Southwest
- Hawaiian Legacy Hardwoods Honored as One of Best Environmental Businesses in World
- Alleged Kapahulu bank robber arrested
- Third Annual “BikeUHM” in tandem with UH Manoa Earth Day Festival
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Hosts Oldest-Ever Zipline Participant